top of page
Search
  • E K Fire Protection

How to Spot Fire Hazards in Your Home

Updated: Jun 12

Red sign with fire extinguisher symbol

Chances are, you try to keep your home and family safe from any type of danger. That means you need to keep your home clear of fire hazards, as well. Most people know the basics, but there are likely a few things in your home that you don’t realise are fire hazards. 


As a general rule, you should look for anything that may heat up or cause a short circuit. These are things that could pose a threat to your home and family. Some of the more common fire hazards in homes include: 


Space heaters

You may use a space heater to stay warm, but these can be very dangerous. It’s essential you keep them away from anything that could be remotely flammable, as they can light clothing, furniture and curtains on fire. 


You should also be sure to avoid placing anything on the surface of the storage heater - for instance, if you want to dry a towel. Storage heaters may also pose a threat if they fall over while running. 


Extension leads

Extension leads are often overloaded, which is why you should never plug extensions into more extensions. The possibility of overloading a circuit means there is a potential for a fire. When leads and cords are overheated, frayed, or left near a space heater or other heat source, the insulation may melt and a fire could start. Be very careful of your leads and cords. 


Water heaters

If you have a gas water heater, like most people in the UK, then you run the risk of a fire if you leave anything too close to it. Often, water heaters are found in the laundry room or utility room and so clothing is very likely to end up next to the heater. This can easily ignite and become a raging fire if you aren’t careful. Nothing should be left near the boiler and the area around it needs to be kept clear too.


Items near the cooker

Curtains near the cooker are a huge hazard, as they can go up in flames rapidly if there is a grease fire. Anything near the cooker is a potential risk, such as towels, wooden spoons, napkins, or oven mitts. Anything that touches high temperatures for too long may catch fire. This also goes for plastic items that may melt over the heat and catch fire.


Wobbly sockets

Are your electrical sockets moveable? If so, you need to tighten them up immediately. The movement can cause loose wires, which are a potential fire hazard. Many house fires start in sockets, so it’s best to be very careful. 


If you’re not sure what you’re looking for, it’s best to have the pros look through your home. They can assess the dangers and provide you with solutions for any potential risks. 


Need a fire risk assessment? EK Fire Protection can be of service. We provide a wide range of fire safety solutions to help our clients protect themselves and their properties, including expert fire safety risk assessments. These assessments help you understand where the threats and risks are and what you can do to avoid falling victim to fire. Contact us to book your appointment.

0 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page